On Saturday April 13 at 2 PM WKU football will host their annual spring game.
Here are 3 things to look for Saturday:
On Saturday expect to see returning Quarterback Steven Duncan and Arkansas grad transfer QB Ty Storey get most of the action.
What will separate the two going into the fall will be their ability to throw the deep ball. This is what I assume coach Tyson Helton is referring to when he says he is looking for a “Trigger Man” under center.
2. Running Back
The running back position is wide open this year and we should expect to see lots of backs rotate in and out of Bryan Ellis offense.
WKU returns 6 running backs. Here is who you should expect to see take majority of the carries this season: (In no order)
- (#3) Jakairi Moses – r-So.
- (#28) Gino Appleberry, Jr. – So.
- (#23) Quinton Baker – r.-Jr.
- (#25) Joshua Samuel – r-So.
With plenty of weapons on offense the real question of the 2019 WKU football season will be the defense. Only returning 6 starters from last season much will be asked of those filling their shoes.
WKU returned defensive coordinator Clayton White from the Mike Sanford staff in hopes to not have as much of a learning curve on the defensive side of the ball.
Who returns/ what to expect:
- (#2) DB- Devon Key- Good ball judgement/ Fast/ Hard Hitting
- (#15) DB- Ta’Corian Darden- Strong/ Physical DB/ Excellent tackler in space.
- (#24) DB- Roger Cray- Fast/ Good pass coverage
- (#10) DL- DeAngelo Malone- Athlete/ Great pass rusher/ Teams need to game-plan for (Malone is going to be a stud)
- (#34) DL- Juwuan Jones- Strong/ Good football IQ/ Run stopper
- (#90) DL- Jaylon George- Fills gaps/ Run Stopper